Tom Yum, a Special Asian Cuisine Menu – Are you a big fan of sour and spicy soup? I think Tom Yum is perfect choice. Tom Yum is a kind of soup originally come from Thailand. If you have visited Thailand, you have to tried those signature Thai soup made from any kind of seafood. This dish is cooked in every Thai kitchen and restaurants with families give those recipe to children, grand children and through generations. Tom Yum is favorite menu for my husband. Tom yum consist of 2 words ‘tom’ which means boil and ‘yum’ meaning spicy salad. For the first time i cooked Tom Yum, i have just realized the dish have a lot of spices and ingredient. But worth it to cook in your home!
You might didn’t know about two variations of Tom Yum. The first variations is tom yum with shrimp in a clear broth and second one is the creamy milky version. Creamy Tom Yum made from canned evaporated milk or coconut milk. I prefer to cook the first one, but someday i’m going to try the other one. I went to supermarket before making this recipe to buy some ingredients such as: shrimp, fish meatball, mushroom, chikuwa (japanese product made from seasoned ground fish/meat), tofu, sausages and the veggies (cauliflower, carrot, etc). You can really use any kind of shrimp.
Tom yum need a lot of preparation time. You have to clean shrimp and veggies, then cut all the veggies and the other ingredients. When it come to buying shrimp, choose the whole shrimp and take the head part to make stock. The broth of the soup is made from combination of fresh herbs and stock from shrimp. The perfect Tom Yum should be a rich of orange colour comes from the fatty juice in the head of shrimp. Even better, this delicious soup is an excelent medicine for flu and sinuses.
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time : 50 minutes
Ingredients for Tom Yum, An Asian Cuisine Menu
- 250 gram any kind of shrimp, peel off and divided the head part to make stock
- 100 gram straw mushroom, sliced
- 7 pcs fish meatball, cut into 2 pieces
- 10 pcs Chikuwa
- 3 pcs crab stick, cut into long pieces
- 2 pcs sausages, thinly sliced
- 2 pcs carrot, sliced
- 150 gram cauliflower, cut
- 3 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 stalk leek, thily sliced
- 1/2 pcs lemon, cut and squeezed
- 5 pcs lime leaves, torn to release the flavor
- 1/4 tomato
- 3 pcs shallot, peel off
- 3 pcs garlic, peel off
- 5 pcs chili, sliced
- 3 pcs galangal (2 cm each), peel off, wash and smash it
- 3 tablespon olive oil
- Salt, as you needed
- Pepper, as you needed
- 2 stalks lemongrass, cut into 4 piece to release the flavor.
How to Cook Tom Yum, a Special Asian Cuisine Menu
- Pour shallot, garlic and chili on the food processor until smooth. I add the candlenut to make savory Tom Yum. Mash the candlenut and mix with garlic, shallot and chili. Sautee for 5 minutes.
- Add olive oil to the skillet, add a pinch of salt. Sautee the shrimp heads and skin in the oil, cooking until red and crispy.
- Pour water in a pot, add the shrimp heads and skin. Turn heat to medium-high. Boil until the broth looks orange and buble appeared on the surface (15 minutes).
- Divided the broth and the head & skin of the shrimp.
- Pour the clear broth in a another pot. Simmering for 5 minutes and then add the lime leaves.
- Add lemongrass and galangal.
- Add shallot and corriander roots (optional).
- Pour chili
- Continue cooking broth for 10 minutes or until you can smell the flavor.
- Refine and divided broth and the spice.
- In a deep cooking-pot, pour the stock and turn heat to medium high.
- Add shrimp and mushroom. Continue cooking until the shrimp are pink and plump.
- Add carrot and cauliflower. Cook for 10 minutes until perfectly cooked.
- Add crabstick, fish meatball, chikuwa and sausages.
- Add leek.
- Give seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Add lime and corriander leaves.
- To give a salty taste, add fish sauce.
- Turn down the heat to low, taste test and adjust as needed.
- Add lime juice and tomato.
- Serve in bowls with fried onions. Enjoy.
Tips and Variation When You’re Cooking Tom Yum
- If you want orange color in stock, head and skin of the shrimp have to sautee with olive oil.
- Add chili to make Tom Yum more spicy.
- To make creamy soup, add coconut milk.
- Serve with fresh cilantro to added kick of flavour. Bon apetite!