This is the first time i cook breakfast recipes with sausage which is casserole as breakfast menu. I assume that making casserole is almost similar with mac and cheese (but casserole doesn’t always use pasta). Casserole come from french word meaning “sauce pan”, a large dish which used to cook/serve food. It’s american cuisine, typically baked and consist of protein such as beef, chicken or fish and various vegetable. I will make casserole with veggies: broccoli and carrot. I choose chicken sausages as source of protein. You can make with other meat such as pork or beef. I will add mushroom as source of vitamin and beneficial minerals. Casserole usually include fastener element such as flour, pasta or potatoes. I choosed potatoes as source of carbohydrate. Liquids as chicken/beef stock, wine or milk can also being added on the mixture.
Basic ingredients for making casserole are eggs, cheese, milk and bread. I prefer to choose milk than wine because i don’t want to feel dehydration all day long. Drinks that contain alcohol sometimes lead to dehydration and sometimes followed by headache. This recipe is easiest food in the world to put together all that you have in refrigerator. The great thing about this menu is you can add anything that you want to the base. It also can be made for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
You can change the ingredients based on what do you have/preferences. Pasta replaced potato or beef sausages become subtitute of pork/ham. I use bread for making casserole, fresh bread put into oven/toaster.
Preparation time : 20 minutes
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Servings : 2 servings
Ingredients for making Chicken & Veggies Casserole, Breakfast recipes with sausage
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 3 large chicken sausages, chopped
- 1 cups shredded cheese (cheddar/mozzarella)
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 slices bread
- 1 cups milk
- 1/2 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1/2 cup carrot, cut into long pieces
- 2 medium size potato, peeled and diced
- 3 onions
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil.
- 1 tablespoon dried herbs, i use dried thyme
Cooking method for making Chicken & Veggies Casserole
- Preheat a water in a pan, add potato and boil until flesh are perfectly soft. Boiled for 10 minutes in medium heat.
- Put bread in the oven (100°C, 10 minutes).
- Meanwhile, you can prepare the other ingredients. Chop the sausages, mushroom, broccoli and carrot.
- Potato finished, drain and set aside. Bread finished, cut into some cubes.
- Pour cooking oil in a pan, saute onion and then sausages until no longer pink and mushroom to release moisture. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Smash the potato until smooth in a large bowl, mix with butter.
- Add the sausages, mushroom, onion, cheese, raw broccoli and raw carrot. Mix. I prefer raw broccoli because they will be crunchier.
- In separated dish, beaten the egg, add milk and bread. Stir well.
- Pour the mixture of egg, milk and bread into the potato batter.
- Seasoning with salt, pepper and dried herbs.
- Transfer to a baking dish, top with cheese.
- Place to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes (200°C).
How to serve Chicken & Veggies Casserole, Breakfast recipes with sausage
- Cut the casserole, place into small plate and serve with some fresh fruit for breakfast. Sometimes i like to eat with chili sauce with a cup of hot matcha.
How to keep and reheat Chicken & Veggies Casserole
- Keep casserole in the fridge for up to 1 day. You can reheat in the oven/microwave in 180°C for 15 minutes.
- To make a casserole as dinner menu, you can change milk with wine.
- You can prepare the ingredients the night before, put in the fridge and bake it in the morning.
- You can remove bread from list of ingredients.