Dumpling is a broad classification for food that consists of dough wrapped with a filling or just dough with no filling. When you mention dumplings, people have multiple images in their minds depend on where they’re come from. If they come from African, dumplings is Banku or Kenkey. But if someone come from Chinese, dumplings commonly called dim sum. Dumpling in American looks like soup with chicken broth and vegetables. Dumplings considered as a very popular asian cuisine.
Dumplings can be done with a various method such as boiling, frying, pan fried or steaming. Each family has its own option to choose meat fillings. Pork, beef, chicken, fish and shrimp are the most common filling. I will choose chicken and shrimp as filling on this dumplings recipe. Dumplings can be prepared in different sauce upon preference or request.
We will make a dumplings from Indonesia, it’s widely known as siomay. Siomay are made from chicken/fish dumpling along with veggies, potato, egg and tofu. On the top of the dumplings, you can see orange dot/fish roe/carrot. How to eat siomay? You can add peanut sauce or chili sauce on the top of it. On this recipe, we will make the dipping sauce combination from soy sauce, vinegar and chili paste. You can make your own chili sauce or find it in supermarket.
They are super yummy if you make them the right way. And guess what?! You don’t even need a bamboo steamer!
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 120 minutes
Total Time : 125 minutes
A. Ingredients for an Asian Cuisine Indonesian Dumplings
- 150 g all purpose flour
- 100 g high protein flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 125 ml warm water
If you don’t want to make dumpling dough, you can make with finished dumpling dough which sold in supermarket.
- 200 g boneless chicken meat
- 135 g prawns/shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 1 pcs egg
- 150 g carrot, shredded
- 3 stem garlic leaves
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken broth powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pcs carrot, shredded for topping
- Soy sauce, as you needed
- White/black vinegar, as you needed
- Chili paste, as you needed
- Egg, boiled
- Sweet potato, boiled
- Cabbage, boiled
- Tofu, boiled
B. How to Cook Asian Cuisine Indonesian Dumplings
Preparation of the Dough
- Place all purpose flour, high protein flour and salt ito large bowl.
- Stir and mixed with spoon until it becomes blended perfectly – about 2 minutes.
- Knead the dough until the dough don’t stick on your hand. – about 10 minutes.
- Cover the dough with napkin, leave for 15 minutes. This process useful for rest the dough.
- Knead the dough again for around 5 minutes.
- Cover the dough and leave it again for 1 hour.
- Divide the dough become 4 part, you can use knife or weighed with scales.
- Grind the dough with rolling pin and molded into a circle diameter around 10 cm.
To Make the Dumpling
- Place chicken meat and shrimp in a blender/chopper.
- Add garlic and egg.
- Turn on blender/chopper, grind chicken and meat until it becomes crumbly.
- Place it into a large bowl.
- Add the ingredients: pepper, chicken broth powder, salt, sugar, sesame oil and oyster sauce. Stir well and mix vigorously with a spoon.
- Add tapioca flour, shredded carrot and garlic leaves. Mix until just blended.
- Now we will add the fillings into the dough. Prepare warm water and shredded carrot for topping.
- Lubricate the dough with warm water (on the top of the dough), form an “O” with your forefinger and thumb. Add the fillings and pinch side of the dough until the fillings covered.
- Add shredded carrot on the top of the dumplings.
To Cook the Dumpling for Asian Cuisine
- Steam the dumplings for 40 minutes, or until well done.
- Move the dumplings into a large plate and serve warm with dipping sauce!
- Add potato, veggies, egg and tofu.
How to Cook Dipping Sauce
- Prepare soy sauce, vinegar (white/black), chili paste.
- Mix them based on your preference/taste. I choose 3 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon vinegar and 1 tablespoon chili sauce (as much spicy I can handle)
Notes for Indonesian Dumplings as an Asian Cuisines
- If you have seafood allergy, use pork or just chicken meat.
- You can add mushrooms especially shiratake. Soak for 20 minutes with boiling water, squeezed out. Chopped, you can add into the dumplings fiiling.
You can use regular steamer, bamboo steamer or micromawe to cook the dumplings.